Monday, July 16, 2007

It was a "raw" morning today...


It happened finally…

What I’d been dreading all these last few months decided to come true today morning.

When I went to my third-floor balcony in the morning to pick my newspaper, I was greeted by a sharp “thwaccck” on my nose.

My newspaper vendor, responsible for my day after day quota of news, should be lauded for his impeccable hurling of the rolled-up daily. Each day for me begins with bleary-eyed me, making my way to the balcony to fetch the broadsheet, which lies on the floor, willing to be picked-up by me, and glanced-over / scanned by me – depending on my mood. Today seemed no different, except that when I stepped out, there were no signs of my morning-read.

Sighing, I guessed that I was up earlier than most days, and was about of retrace my steps inside, when by some unfortunate last-minute dilly-dallying, finally decided to stand there for a couple of minutes, and enjoy the tingly morning breeze. After all, when you stay in a place like Delhi where you are more often than not welcomed even on early mornings by a ruthless sun, such days as these are less and far between.

So I stayed back, smiling at no one in particular, reminiscing about my last two days, made inordinately happy by someone’s return from foreign shores.

That’s when it happened.

My face, enjoying the invigorating breeze, suddenly started smarting. Ouch!

“Thwacck” – the rolled-up newspaper had arrived.

On my nose.

Leaving me with a sore feeling, both literally and metaphorically.

Jesus Christ, the guy was an absolutely fantastic pitcher. I mean, I’m sure any soccer team would have been proud of his pitch, and shelled out eye-popping amounts in Euros for signing him on.

Despite the throbbing pain, I couldn’t help but manage a feeble smile.

Thank God the guy only tossed one paper onto my balcony.

Or it would have been a more “raw” story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh hope your nose didnt swell

Anonymous said...

Is ur pic on the blog from that day when you had a big nose after the newspaper accident? I feel so sorry for your big nose....Poor u..