Monday, November 19, 2007

Who will don the first pullover?


The nip in the air is unmistakable.

Every morning, I stifle a yawn, and make my way, bleary-eyed, to the balcony, to pick my morning dose of news in the form of a leading national daily.

Today morning, I shivered, wrapping my light shawl tightly around myself, grabbed the newspaper, and ran all the way back to my piping-hot tea. Aaah, thank God for the small joys of life.

The sun soon popped out, dispelling the fog (or was it smog), and the day set in.

At office, I noticed that some people, despite the chill, had still not donned their gaily-colored woolens.

Some questions that I posed to them, didn’t raise too many answers.

And then some sunny rays of enlightenment dawned on me.

It takes folks, especially working in an office, to bring out their own woolens, only after they see somebody else pull ‘em on.

It’s almost as if a stamp of approval is needed for them all to be a sort of public herald that it was now ok to wear that crimson cape, maroon muffler, green gloves, cyan cardigan, purple pullover, jade jacket, and patent leather black boots. And obviously, chattering-teeth be damned, someone else better do the first donning.

Dunno if they believe strongly in herd mentality, or if they think that they might be singled out for ridicule / unwanted attention, but one thing is certain – regardless of no-sun days, the odd winter-rain spell, and blustery evenings / mornings, those woollies will make an appearance, only after someone else has displayed his, thereby setting the green signal on for a woollen mass-appearance in full throttle.

As for me, I’m carrying my shawl to work tomorrow.

Brrrrrrrr!!

No comments: