Saturday, May 15, 2010

Musings from the girl in the cast


Cooped-up at home courtesy a nasty leg fracture in Amsterdam, I have two unsolicited things to deal with - a lot of free time on my hands and a state of agonizing, seemingly-eternal immobility.

To say that I’m exasperated to the core, would be putting it a tad too mildly. To while away my time, I rely upon diligently leafing through newspapers, pamphlets, magazines, and the odd novel, hoping they would be useful anger tamers. No such luck though! Ample use has also been made of online shopping sites, the largess of family and friends (wink wink), mobile games, neighborhood stores that deliver treats right to my doorstep, half-an-hour pizza or Chinese deliveries, and guaranteed-to-induce-sympathy phone calls - though not necessarily in that order...

Also, how much can one get pampered, without feeling stifled like a mollycoddled pekingese pup? On days when I am at my grumpiest, snarling, most brooding, sulking (did I miss 'most unlovable?') best, it would take a daring person to touch me with a pole. To add to my hyperventilation, the weekly salon visits, that heady rush of entering a swanky mall or that much-favored little square market (as my Mum terms it) and exiting with multi-hued shopping bags that crunch happily together, the weekly ‘spirited’ lounge visits, the spa sessions – seem a thing of the distant past.

My hanging-in-gloom face is perhaps matched only by our dog’s long face, who is most aggrieved and puzzled by the infrequency of his regular thrice-a-week-if-not-more post-dinner drives.

To add to it all – the mercury rising by the day isn’t exactly doing much for the usual ‘sunniness’ of my disposition. While a splash of rain could do wonders to douse the fiery fury within me, the Met Department too looks hand-in-glove and has reported that the fickle monsoons still look a good 20 days or so away. I hope they are wrong!

The last straw was when the doc said today that the cast with which I have been hobbling painfully all this while (and which, may I add, makes me look and feel like a pale pixie lurching in exceedingly constricting stocking and pointy-shoes) – has to be worn for another three weeks.

Oh well – things aren’t really super-bright right now. But I’ll get by. Hopefully soon!

2 comments:

kunal said...

ohh poor u!! get well soon

Rajnish Bhogal said...

Good luck Vandy, hopefully you have gone through it by now :0