Monday, February 22, 2010

Watching spooky flicks - a 'ghost' of a chance for me...


I grew up on a regular diet of books. You could call me your regular bookworm. However, there was one stack of books I never did touch - my brother’s collection of horror novels (No he wasn’t a bookworm, he just kept them to keep me from fiddling in his shelf).

The only ghost I could see without scaring people half to death with my bloodcurdling scream, was Casper. And he didn’t really count – cute, white, slightly obese kid-ghost. That he stayed in a gravestone only added to his quirkiness…
So here I am - an incurable phasmophobe. In simpler words, I fear ghosts. Many might share my fear, I know. It gives me some solace that there are many others like me whose hearbeats increase rapidly, a feeling of dread descends, their mouths go dry - when they as much as hear a friend narrate a particularly spooky story in the middle of a night.

Best friend is a sucker for horror, spooky tales. And movies. If she’s watching one at home, chances are that it would be along the likes of The Exorcist, The Haunting, Poltergeist, Blair Witch Project, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the Evil Dead, or Ring. And to think that during the most scary parts, she calmly pops popcorn into her mouth. More recently – she’s been gushing about the home-video Paranormal Activity, a spooky flick about a young couple who have a demonic presence in their apartment. Even hubby dearest is partial to this very same movie. Argh!

Which brings me to that eternal question – why do people pay big bucks at theaters to get terrified?
Is it the thrill of getting to assess their threat levels?
Does it elicit some primal behavior?
Do they like the escapism factor?
Do they get an adrenaline rush akin to like going on a rollercoaster ride?
Do they like the idea of watching someone’s fear unfold in a controlled environment?
Or do they like to count their palpitating heart beats?


Beats me!

What's your say?

No comments: