Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Presents at a Price?


There it was – nestled comfortably between the spangled saree and the paisley paperbag it came packed in. Nothing about it was inconspicuous – it stood out like a sore thumb.

Rupees 2800 only – it declared proudly in italicised letters.

This wasn’t the first time that some no-doubt ‘well-meaning’ friend / relative had done the unforgivable – left the price tag on a gift. Not only does it look tacky, but it also makes me feel as if they are weighing how much I mean to them monetarily by spending a said amount on me.
Oh him – let’s give him a 1500-rupee wallet.
Ohh she – let’s see – this 750 rupee shirt will do.
For him, uhmm – this 400 rupee folder is good enough.
And for added measure, let’s leave the price tags on.

Both those ladies – Miss Manners and Dame Etiquette will probably have fits. Not of laughter. But of spluttering indignation.

Now, I can understand leaving the store’s tag and bar / scan code on, if the recipient might want to exchange it. Stores nowadays have an exchange policy even if the price is obliterated or ripped off. I’ve been there, done that – to exchange for a better sized piece of clothing or a different colored item. Without a price tag, no less!

But heck no – the gift-giver refuses to part with the price tag. So before taking the fume out from its velvet case, you have to first deal with the annoying yellow label that sticks out prominently.

So even before the heavenly fragrance can reach my happy nose, the thought that I owe the giver a specified monetary value, takes away from what would have otherwise been a delightful moment. It’s almost as if the giver just rubbed it in my face how much he / she shelled out for a prezzie for me, initiating thoughts that I should reciprocate with an equivalent-valued gift. I’d rather do without that someone-spent-a-mini-fortune-upon-me gift, thank you very much.

A few weeks back, I chanced to overhear a fifty-something lady getting a gift packed at a swish mall. The attendant, while cutting the ribbons and wrapping paper, asked if he should put a piece of scotch-tape on where the price was and remove it. The lady smiled, shook her head, and went back to animatedly describing the gift she’d bought for a relative (and its cost) to somebody on the other end of her phone line. Brought up in a household where leaving the price tag on was frowned upon, I couldn’t help but cast a woeful look at the lady in question.

I’ve also seen people take the discount tag off from an item and keeping the original price tag on. What do the less harsh people have to say to that ‘act of forgetfulness?’ Ha!

It’s almost an insult. Like the gifter is blatantly flaunting his wealth / social prestige – ‘See, I bought you that Swarovski pendant for your birthday / anniversary, simply because I can afford to. Did any of your other other so-called friends get you a premium gift?’

Completely takes the thoughfulness out of the gift giving, don’t you think?

Or do you disagree?

No comments: