Friday, January 22, 2010

Of chipped cups and manky mugs...


It's a grey, wintry day.

The sun has decided to go into hibernation behind the gloomy clouds.

And the steaming cup of hazelnut cappucino looks up at me invitingly, the aroma of greshly ground coffee beans wafting towards my happy nose.

I cup my hands around it, taking in its warmth, and then with one hand, lift it towards my soon-to-be-gratified mouth.


This is where I freeze, purse my lips, and glower at the frothing coffee.

Hubby dearest takes one look, senses what’s happening, and hands me his own cup.

I nod at him in silent gratitude. A quick examination and I take a sip. It wasn’t hazelnut, but I’d make-do with it.

That’s what chipped cups and crockery do to me – they make me break out into my surly-frown-pursed-lips routine.

For many people, crockery should be just functional. What is a mere chip or a crack here and there. Not to me. I’ve walked up in many a restaurant to get my chipped cup / plate exchanged for a non-chipped one. I’ve been known to squirm in my seat at people’s places – and asked them if they could possibly change my cup. Sometime, I’ve just made an excuse to drinking from one.

Some people keep chipped crockery at bay – ‘cos the chips can harbor bacteria. I keep those darn chipped items at bay – because I can’t stand the sight of them. I anyway don’t mind the odd germs, and am all for growing our immunity. Just give me an intact mug, and avoid making me go off my rocker. They look ugly with a capital ‘U.’ They can cut your lip. They look manky. Do you need more reasons? I don’t think so...

My bro, who’s more interested in whether the food’s cooked properly rather than a chip in the plate, calls me dotty. So does hubby dearest. They’ve both got their reasons, I’ve got mine. Fair and square...

Call me wasteful. Call me queer – if I had my way, I’d drop all chipped crockery into the nearest landfill.

Or probably smash them into smithereens... And clap my hands gleefully...

And maybe, just maybe, I should start carrying my favorite mauve cup around. And earn more nicknames for myself like the weirdo who whips-out a mug from her bag !

No comments: