Monday, March 19, 2007

Put Your Best Foot Forward


The humble kolha-puris, beaded sandals, and flip-flops are fast making a disappearance.

Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a tad bit, but hey, wherever I cast a look, I can see a whole spate of footwear, many of which I am sure I don't even know the names of.

Trendier versions are all the rage(not that I am complaining); and here I am not talking only about the killers - stilletos.

Today's footwear, especially for women, has come of age. And how!

Whatever the occasion, you have appropriate shoes that fit both your soles, as well as the wallet you carry.

You and I are spoilt for choice - the dainty ones can choose from Mary Janes, ballerina shoes(a fast catching-on trend, what with all the Tinas, Dianas, and Harriets, wearing them to every possible place), as well as peep toes.

Thick ankles? Worry not - go buy yourself a pair of wedges(available in that mall yonder, the supermarket, the neighborhood shoe-store, and its neighbor).

More of an office person?

Madame, pumps and mules are right up your street.

Choose from the perennial black, brown, beige, or white.

Have that crinkly, flowy skirt, and clueless as to what to team it with to that weekend party? Loads of boots out there - choose from any of these - go-go boots, ugg boots, cowboy boots( A word of caution: avoid the stilletoed-version in colors like fuschia pink, scarlet, aubergine, flurescent green / yellow, unless you want to give the impression of a dominatrix or a street-walker).

Hitting the gym? You are bound to be spoilt with all the sports companies vying with each other to coax you into buying their trainers.

If heels are as appealing to you as meat to a vegan, there is absolutely no reason for you to be dismayed.

The footwear industry boasts of espadrilles, and Chuck Taylors, available at any Converse outlet, in various eye-popping colors.

Platforms are another type(but since I have an aversion to seeing them, either adorning display windows of showrooms or on the feet of women), I woon't write a thing about them, except that they look obnoxious to me.

Whew! Now that I've let the steam off, I can continue with this post :-)

Stilletos, when teamed with killer outfits, besides looking pretty weapons of mass destruction , can also turn into neat weapons of self-protection. (Here the clunky, chunky platforms can also be given a note of mention). Soome jerk annoying you like hell? Wham! Off with your footwear, and teach him a good lesson. Don't just brandish the heels, use them, ladies.

And a last word before I end this post - if you are one of those who stagger, all wobbly-legged like Bamby the deer, on those impossibly-high heels, making people around you, giggle, do yourself a favor - get kitten heels.

They might not boast of those killer heels, but then, your peds will be grateful, believe me. Besides, kitten-heels look classy, you look as if you have experimented with heels, and you can walk around in them for ages, without wincing each time you take a step.

Go on, step out in style.

3 comments:

D said...

Whoa! I don't blv this! Someone's actually writtena blog on my favourite topic :) Shoes!

moonstruck maniac said...

Mayynnn, thats some cool blog post I came across in a real long time!!

Anonymous said...

This a kewl blog on my Fav...Shoes...Great going lady...I am sure this is one of the favourite topic for most of the females...