Friday, August 08, 2008

08-08-'08 - Olympics


I made an exception to my usual I-don’t-watch-television routine today…

After all, it’s not everyday that reads as 08-08-’08.

Besides being one of top dates this year for couples to get 'knotty,' it also kicks-off the 16 day Olympics in China.

So, after surfing sundry news channels, which were all falling over each other with repeats of the opening ceremony, I finally arrived at my preferred one.

The view at Beijing’s state-of-the-art National stadium, was breathtaking, to say the least.

At exactly the eighth moment of 8 o’clock, the extravaganza had commenced for a spell-bound audience.

Approximately 91,000 people sweated it out to watch the dazzling display, which cost China a staggering $43, beating Athens’ record of $15 billion in the 2004 Olympics, by a more than fair margin.

Now I have seen my fair share of fireworks, considering that they are de-rigueur at Indian weddings, the Indian festival of lights – Diwali, when the country beats its arch-rival and neighboring country at a match of cricket, and other equally pyrotechnical moments.

However, the fireworks at this ceremony were a showstopper and completely jaw-dropping.

To add to them, were hundreds of thundering drums, strobe lights, acrobats who performed gravity-defying stunts, contortionists, martial arts performers, you name it…

I'm putting my money on the fact that quite a few people from amongst the audience will be numb in the ears for sometime at least.

But I also bet that the experience must be totally worth it...

No comments: