Monday, December 29, 2008

Actions speak louder than words: New Year Resolutions - 2009


With 2008 speeding away, I thought I would do a volte-face.

So this time, instead of sticking up at nose at New Year Resolutions, I decided to make a few to hold on to in the coming year.

Only time would tell if I have set myself up for failure. Or if success does come in my stride...

In no particular order (or implementation due date), hear them out.

In 2009, I will:

 Not roll my eyes or look condescendingly when people don’t understand a joke that I just cracked
 Stop wearing too much makeup. Only some gloss, mascara, and maybe a liner, and I should be ready to roll
 Learn how to drive. And cook. A car and food respectively. Instead of driving people up the wall and cooking sarcastic comments
 Get a French Connection. And not by ordering French bread. Learn the language
 Eat less junk food. And exercise. And get into a couple of sizes smaller jeans(Difficulty level – Highest. Multiplied by 10)
 Not song binge. Instead of listening to the same song over and over again, I will change the track. Or the CD
 Keep my room clean. Instead of it looking like a mix between a pigsty and something the rats broke into
 Participate in this year’s marathon
 Stop eating Maggi for dinner. On a regular basis. Smack my lips and gulp down some dal instead
 Stop buying yet more facewashes that I don’t use. Or creams. Or clips. Or nail enamels. Or mints. Or chewing gums. Or wet face tissues...
 Not cuss loudly when some bugger’s cell phone blares the latest Bollywood track in the theatre. Will just prettily show him the middle finger. Or cast a murderous look. Might work better
 Stop being a scrapdealer and give away old magazines, clothes, makeup, and footwear I have hoarded over time
 Not burst into laughter when I see a person walk by me, wearing something in neon green. Or anything that has all the colours of the rainbow. Or who looks like a bejewelled Christmas tree
 Improve my memory. And not forget people’s names. It’s embarrassing
 Write more letters to my Mother
 Watch at least some TV. So that when people discuss what’s playing on air, I can throw in a word or two. Instead of blinking rapidly / scratching my head / smiling blankly. Or worse – moving away from them to a corner
 Not become a shrieking idiot even when anyone says that my college may not be the absolute best, contrary to what I think
 Be open to criticism. Instead of pretending that it’s alright, but sulk later in my room
 Make more trips. Physical ones. Not ego trips
 Look TOOMA straight in the eyes, cup his face in my palms, and utter those three words on a more regular basis. And see him melt…
 Buy a white T-shirt. Instead of yet another black one
 Watch Godfather. And Rambo. And Rocky. And Pirates of the Caribbean. And Lord of the Rings. Bourne series. All parts
 Whiten my teeth
 Take more leaves from work. And sleep at home
 Learn to accept that not every lustworthy shoe / bag / perfume is for me
 Watch all movies starring George Clooney. Mmmmmm....
 Not wear un-ironed clothes and look like a ragpicker. Will pick up the darn steam-iron, and iron them
 Not average more than one perfume in 3 months. And stick to it
 Read more
 Not fight with people close to me
 Learn a new language (optional). Other than monkey-speak, that is
 Text less over the phone. Ditto for mindless yapping (Difficulty Level – High)
 Wear the two Levis caps I bought. And sock any of my friends who giggle when I do
 Not tell the same stories at get-togethers. Or the same stale jokes
 Buy a camera. And shoot the world
 Not show all my pearlies by breaking into a Cheshire cat grin everytime someone clicks my pic. It’s perfectly alright not to show all 32 of them in every pic
 Not bite my nails. Long nails look classier. Besides looking pretty when painted. Period
 Be less bitchy. And less superficial
 Get regular trims. Instead of cribbing about split ends
 Kill every mosquito that buzzes near me
 Not leave a job unless I complete at least a year and a half there. Which means that this year I am not changing my job
 I will not pet every dog who wags his tail at me
 Shed weight. And keep it off
 Save money
 Stick to my having kicked the butt
 Drink less alcohol
 Not wait till 4 o’clock on weekends to take a shower
 Not pretend to listen to boring stories when I can barely keep my eyes open. Will yawn and snore. Or politely move away
 Learn Excel and PowerPoint. And learn them Goddamned well
And lastly,
 Keep blogging

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tough ones indeed...
crumpled clothes and pancaked face?
Very interesting.
Tooma is a dog?

Write Up My Alley said...

Nope, TOOMA is an acronym for The Object Of My Affection. My fiance :)