Monday, January 22, 2007

Of missed calls and foul moods.


Thanks to the Service Provider that promises that its signature puppy will follow you everywhere (sounds like a damn stalker), I am on the threshold of a nervous breakdown.

Huh! What? You might ask.

I retort simply, hear me out.

It all started out a fortnight back when an innocuous-looking message landed on my mobile.

My ears perked up (akin to a certain pug).

A little rambling here: though a self-confessed dog-lover, I find that particular pug obnoxious. I mean what is so special about it that has all people(age / gender no bar) gushing and cooing over it. It’s just another mutt. Before people take up cudgels against me, let me hastily add that I have nothing against their breed as such; however, making them almost instant dog-icons is frankly, quite outside my range of comprehension.

Sorry for the outburst; but yeah, I definitely needed to let off steam.

Coming back to the message in question, it straightforwardly asked me to revert with my address details (mind you, it only said that I had to message back).

My mobile-thumb, ever up for some heavy-duty messaging, was instantly on the go, and before you could say Rumpelstiltskin (ok ok, Jack Robinson), my address details were on their way to the service provider’s triple number.

Well, that was that.

Except for what happened yesterday.

Imagine the scene: Sunday morning. Yours truly is all snug in her bed.

And then the phone had to shriek like a banshee at an unearthly hour.

One eye open, I groaned and reached out for the luminescent mobile.

Blinking hard, I saw that the call did not display the caller’s name or number, but simply, “unknown caller.”

Oh well. Thinking it to be an ISD call from one of my numerous friends who study / work abroad, I stifled a yawn, cleared my throat, and muttered, “Hullo.”

To my surprsie, it was one of my good friends calling, well within the confines of the country, and who was perfectly baffled when I asked her who she was.

Seemed like there was some problem with my one-year-old phone. I listened to what she had to tell me, and was quick to bid adieu when she was through. (Who doesn't love his / her sleep, tell me?)

With a couple of thoughts about what possibly could be wrong with my phone, I drifted off once again into a blissful slumber.

An hour later, my phone had taken on a life of its own; caller upon caller followed.
Parents, brother, best friend (who’s getting married next weekend incidentally:-)), other friends, all had taken it into their heads to outdo each other in greeting me first thing in the morning.

And the phone, you may ask.

Well, it didn’t display anyone’s number or name.

Now this was queer, and a slight sense of uneasiness crept into me.

A call to the customer care service(or make that a call which ran into several minutes, thanks to being put on hold like what seemed like an eternity), revealed that although I had submitted my details(read id, address proof, photograph) three years back when I got the number, certain rules made it mandatory for me to submit those details again. WTH.

My Sunday was definitely not looking very bright.

Trying to keep my temper in check, I listened to what he had to say, and then politely hung up.

Thanks to the weekend, the option was to wait for a day, and submit the blessed documents the next day(that being today, Monday).

Just as I was bringing myself to terms with the non-display-of-callers, I found, to my utter dismay today morning, that my messaging and outgoing calls were both barred.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaalp.

The last nail to the coffin: my friends, knowing that I can’t see who’s calling me, have taken it into their bright heads to give me tons of missed calls. Wait till I get my hands on their necks.

The aspirin is right on my table; head throbbing, I am just about to pop it with some water.

There goes another of them missed calls again.

Aaaaaargh.

I'm just hoping that the guy whom I gave my documents to submit does his job today; or somehere tonight, there is gonna be a murder.

No comments: