Friday, December 08, 2006

Soul Sisters


There are people who read the Chicken Soup for the Soul series, and books by that famous Brazilian author, Paulo Coelho. Their stories are simple, tug at your hearts, discuss hopes, dreams, and lives of people like you and me. A potpourri of experiences, feelings, and personal stories land on your reading table, some of them bearing more than a close resemblance to what you feel or go through.

You read about people who communicate eloquently with each other, though they may not have even met. However, that spirit of easy camaraderie and sorority is unmistakable.

This is a real-life story about a woman whom I have never met, yet share a distinctive solidarity with her. I know that today, deep down in her tummy, she has a countless butterflies. the reason - her daughter has a dance performance lined up for the evening. Likewise, despite the 2020 km distance between her and me, she knows that I am supremely excited about my best friend’s engagement tomorrow, but at the same time, anxious that my fave aunt who’s been injured in a hit-and-run case by a devil of a car-driver, convalesce soon.

To my friend sitting in a different city, looking at the clock anxiously, and to my other soul sisters in the country and beyond, this is a little vote of thanks. It’s not just shopping, watching movies together, stuffing ourselves with pani-puris, giggling endlessly, eyeing that cute guy yonder, or talking nineteen-to-the-dozen, that we have in common. It's about hanging in there come what may.

Thanks for being there.

May your tribe abound.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks vandana aunty for the write up.
i know mmy mother is very friendly but i dint know that she would make friends with you so fast.
will keep in touch.
mahithi(chittu)